I hung my head down in shame & despair when I read the newspaper this morning which read, ‘22 year old stabbed to death’ .
Another broad day light crime… this time Pinki a 22 year old woman was stabbed to death by a jilted lover who stabbed her repeatedly on the MG Road Metro Station in full public view just because she said ‘NO’ to his advances. The ruthless assailant was taken down by a breaveheart passerby who hit him with a ‘table fan’ which he was carrying , seeing this others gathered courage & overpowered the accused. But an innocent life had been lost by then.
Here are a few pointers which you may like to note & share with others just in case you got into a situation like that, ‘probably’ you would be able to save yourself or save a life :
1. Past : Always be careful of old enemies, jilted lovers etc. , they could lie dormant for years & then suddenly wake up to a vendetta.
2. Distraction : An attacker will distract you to close in, for instance he may ask you ‘what is the time’ / ‘Is this your money’ / ‘Can you please help me with this address’ & much more.
3. Distance : Always maintain a safe distance when you talk to a stranger. A safe distance is a distance which cannot be closed in by a stranger without taking a step which will give you time to step back or disconnect . Simply put – he should not be able to touch you without moving in.
4. Hands : Always keep your eyes on the hands of the stranger specially so when he is digging deep into his pockets or hiding them behind his back. He may be reaching out for a weapon like knife, gun , acid, mirchi powder etc. to harm you.
5. Burst : While you try to block the attacking hand, hit him in the face full throttle with the other hand simultaneously, it should be one movement or he will be able to intercept you.
It is horrendous to see precious lives to be lost to such psychopaths, learn to stay safe & save others ! Remember – BETWEEN YOU & YOUR ASSAILANT THERE IS ONLY YOUR WILL & SKILL TO SURVIVE, everyone else will follow !